Holding the Rope During a Pandemic
Dear NCF Chicago Family,
We are living in time of uncertainty, stress, frustration, and countless other emotions. We may feel helpless sitting at home wondering how and if we can help. At these moments, I would encourage you to look at a group of English pastors from the late 18th century.
The country of India was covered in spiritual darkness and it desperately needed the gospel of Jesus Christ. A pastor from England, William Carey, said to his friends, “I will go down if you will hold the rope.” And down he went spending 41 years in India proclaiming the good news of Jesus Christ. However, not all of Carey’s friends went with him. His friend, Andrew Fuller was one who stayed in England and championed for Carey by promoting the ministry, praying, and providing finances. Fuller never traveled across the ocean but he played a very important role by holding the rope.
In our current situation, we play a vital role in our community by being rope holders through prayer, finances, encouragement, and supplies. This webpage is designed to share a few areas where our community could use support, equip you with articles and resources, and encourage you with stories of compassionate generosity.
Your NCF Chicago Team
Joe, Jeff, Valerie, Missy, and Elise
Local Giving Suggestions
1) Homelessness and Aid
- Chicago Fellowship COVID-19 Relief Fund – Grant through MyGiving | Donate Now
Together, more is possible. That’s why Chicago Fellowship is partnering with seven trusted nonprofits and several locally-owned food companies to provide meals, PPE, and employment to the city’s most vulnerable. NCF Givers can support this project by making a fund to fund transfer to The Chicago Fellowship COVID-19 Relief Fund #3281347
- Chicago Delivers – Donate Now
Chicago Delivers is a partnership of local churches working to provide food assistance & encourage vital social distancing in vulnerable neighborhoods of Chicago during the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- Renew Project – Grant through MyGiving | Donate Now
During the global COVID-19 crisis, the Renew Project’s Artisans are working hard to supply handmade face masks for medical professionals and non-profits. By sponsoring a face mask, you are gifting protection to essential non-profits and medical professionals while providing employment to refugee Artisans.
- C24/7 – Grant through MyGiving | Donate Now
Support the C24/7 free weekly store for Rogers Park families to pick up household goods and groceries. Donations will also assist families who lost a job or income and need help with bills and rent during this time.
- Midwest Food Bank Bloomington – Grant through MyGiving | Donate Now
The COVID-19 virus has disrupted every life in the areas we serve. Businesses have suspended or curtailed operations. Even as our world begins to open up, those suffering from food insecurity continues to increase. Monetary donations give Midwest Food Bank the flexibility to serve the growing need.
- Salvation Army – Grant through MyGiving | Donate Now
The Salvation Army continues to serve individuals, families and communities affected in numerous ways by coronavirus and the economic ramifications of control measures.
- PADS – Grant through MyGiving | Donate Now
Since the temporary closure of Interim (Overnight) Housing in March, PADS assisted 213 current clients, creating emergency housing plans, and helping 144 people in securing a safe place to stay – sheltering in place to keep safe from the spread of the virus.
- Pacific Garden Mission – Grant through MyGiving | Donate Now
Many are in high-risk groups for the Coronavirus, due to pre-existing health complications or senior status. They cannot buy the supplies they need and stay quietly in their homes. PGM is committed to responsibly and safely continuing to serve our neighbors in need during this crisis, but nothing can be done without the support of friends like you.
2) Education and Kids
- Holy Family Ministries – Grant through MyGiving | Donate Now
Holy Family Ministries has put up plastic barriers at student desks and they are taking other precautions in order to provide a safe and comfortable place for the students to learn come the fall.
- By The Hand Club For Kids – Grant through MyGiving | Donate Now
Even during COVID-19, By the Hand continue live out their mission of helping kids from under-resourced neighborhoods experience abundant life by loving and nurturing them—mind, body and soul. In fact, it is more important than ever to heighten our response as we emerge from the pandemic and begin to rebuild our communities.
- New Harbor Capital – Grant through MyGiving | Donate Now
New Harbor Capital is launching a service initiative to bridge Chicago’s digital divide and provide computer devices to families in need. Approximately 15,000 Chicago Public Schools families currently lack computer access at home. As families become increasingly reliant on E-learning during the COVID-19 pandemic, children are inevitably falling further behind due to this digital divide. NCF Givers can support this project by making a fund to fund transfer to The NHC Digital Divide Bridge Fund#3318367.
3) Medical Support
- Samaritans Purse – Grant through MyGiving | Donate Now
Samaritan’s Purse is looking forward to a great Operation Christmas Child season as they prayerfully consider ways to modify their collection and processing in light of COVID-19. They are monitoring local, state, and national guidelines and making adjustments to help protect the health of those involved in collecting and processing shoebox gifts. They even have the option to build a shoebox online.
- American Red Cross, Chicago – Grant through MyGiving | Donate Now
90% of the Red Cross Workforce are volunteers but with COVID-19, it’s hard to have these volunteers help. Support the urgent humanitarian needs with a blood donation, financial gift, or supplies donation.
4) Domestic Support
- Breakthrough Urban Ministries – Grant through MyGiving | Donate Now
Breakthrough Urban Ministries is providing food, overnight beds, and violence prevention to individuals in need during the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- Safe Families for Children – Grant through MyGiving | Donate Now
Safe Families is surrounding families with needed support during COVID-19 and they are doing a matching donation program to raise support.
- Outreach Community Ministries – Grant through MyGiving | Donate Now
Outreach’s entire organization has re-engineered its operations in the midst of this crisis. They are serving in new ways wherever they can, within safety protocols. They continue to have “essential service” staff on the front lines serving client’s needs at each of their five sites.
5) Local Church Support
- Give to your local Church or other small churches in your area. Many churches are facing financial challenges during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Churches Helping Churches – Grant through MyGiving | Donate Now
Churches Helping Churches is an initiative that directly assists at-risk churches who are impacted by the COVID-19 crisis through funding. NCF Givers can support this project by making a fund to fund transfer to The COVID-19 Church Relief Fund #3245330.
We recognize that there are many needs. Our goal is to start a conversation to share what we are learning regarding the best ways to help. Please send us an email if you know of other charities on the front lines. We will sort through those and post them on this site.
Articles for Support and Encouragement
- Leaders Can Step Up for Young Adults Now – Bob DiMeo
- A useful guide about improving mental health during COVID19
- IRA Giving in 2020
- 19 Simple Ways to Love Your Neighbor Right Now
- 20+ charities on the frontlines of the COVID-19 battle
- Leader Check-In: Empowering us all to lead well
- Love in an Economic Crisis
- Coronavirus Searches Lead Millions to Hear About Jesus
- The CARES Act: What it means for your giving
- Breaking Down the CARES Act: 7 Helpful Resources
- Provision for small business owners who want to do more
- COVID-19 Addiction Treatment Resources
We would love to hear your story of generosity during this time. Our goal is to create a page where each person can see the gracious generosity of the community around us. If you want to share, submit a story by clicking the button at the bottom. You can also contact us today at email@example.com or call 847-607-9596.