Resources for the Community in Response to COVID-19
The new Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act provides a much-needed stimulus boost for businesses, nonprofits, and government. But what is in the legislation, what type of relief can charities and businesses (even churches) expect from this unprecedented package, and how can they get it? Breaking down the CARES Act: 7 helpful resources on the Paycheck Protection Act, stimulus bill, nonprofit resources and a tax summary, and more.
Resources for Generous Givers
- The passing of the CARES Act brings new opportunities to help givers make an even greater charitable impact. Read what the new economic stimulus package means for your charitable giving.
- Read 19 simple ways to love your neighbor right now to support community and foster relationships, even if high-risk or confined at home
- Review a list of local (Wisconsin) that are serving those affected by COVID-19 as well as 20+ National charities on the frontlines of the COVID-19 battle
Resources for Small Businesses
- Published summaries for givers:
- Coronavirus Small Business Survival Guide from the US Chamber of Commerce including information on Emergency Paycheck Protection Loans and a fact sheet from the US Treasury department.
- CARES Act – Relevant Tax Summary from the National Law Review
- Business leaders should consult with their attorney regarding eligibility of the Payroll Protection program and loan forgiveness.
- A CAP (Corporate Assistance Program) enables your company to follow God’s calling to help employees and others that are going through hard times. Email Linda for more information and learn more from Helping Hands, a CAP strategic partner.
Resources for Nonprofits (churches and ministries)
- Churches Helping Churches encourages more stable churches to help smaller at-risk churches by providing direct assistance. The need is most acute in low-income, urban areas.
- Stable churches are needed to financially help at-risk churches at small levels (e.g. ~$3,000 per church).
- At risk churches can apply to receive aid.
- MP Productions serves churches with mobile church set ups and outdoor worship. Email Brad Christiansen.
- Many churches/nonprofits have Benevolence Funds that can be used to support church families or families in the community. Read best practices around how the church can use a Benevolence Fund. Feel free to share with your leadership.
- Read about the the Paycheck Protection Program and 501(c)(3) eligibility from the US Chamber of Commerce (PPP fact sheet for faith-based organizations). Nonprofit leaders should consult with their attorney regarding eligibility of the Payroll Protection Program and loan forgiveness.
- Published summaries for nonprofits:
- Do you know of (or work for) an organization that needs help utilizing or setting up a way to accept charitable gifts online? If so, please email us.