2021 Milwaukee Poverty Symposium
Milwaukee has challenges with poverty, employment and spiritual warfare. The annual Symposium has provided a vehicle for church, ministry, business and community leaders to discuss the complex issue of poverty while receiving practical advice on how to “do” more. Please use these resources to take action as you feel called!
- Watch a recording of the Symposium (NOTE: audio starts right away; video starts at 1 minute, 26 seconds)
- The study Diane from City on a Hill referenced: Using Big Data to Solve Economic and Social Problems. The data she cited is found in Lecture 2: Causal Effects of Neighborhoods and the longitudinal studies are cited in charts that precede those pages.
- Download Next Steps and Resources for the Church to Address Poverty as shown during the Symposium (specific next steps from NCF WI, Employ Milwaukee, SDC and City on a Hill)
- Download a report on Indicators of Poverty: Kenosha, Milwaukee, Racine & Waukesha (a collaborative report from Siebert Foundation)
Resources from Symposium Presenters
- Be a host site for a job fair (drive through or in-person).
- Faith-based Initiative: an opportunity to share resources & information with your congregation and/or neighborhood. Contact Millie Coby, Manager Community Engagement, 414-270-1772.
- General contact: Employ Milwaukee community outreach
Social Development Commission
- SDC is a community action agency that gives people in poverty influence over policies and resources impacting their lives. SDC operates more than 20 programs designed to improve the overall quality of life for families experiencing poverty.
- Contact: Ella Dunbar, community relations, 414-906-2704.
City on a Hill
- Bring Compassion Training Events (Racial Residue or poverty training) to your church.
- Participate in Mission Trips (Urban Plunge) – as an individual or church.
- Contact: Art Serna, Deputy Director, 414-931-6670.
- Purchase “The Story of the Church in Milwaukee” book for $10.50 (in-person pick up) or $13.50 (shipped). Email DonnaLee Hayes to order.
- Read Stories of Hope about unique ministries who are meeting critical community needs and Kingdom building
- Increase the culture of generosity in Milwaukee by donating to the Generosity Catalyst Fund to support community initiatives