Hurricane Iota made landfall Monday night. It’s the second storm to hit Nicaragua and Honduras this month, with 155-mph winds and flooding, after they’d already taken a beating that wiped out homes and temporarily cut off some aid workers from communities.
We know many NCF givers support ministries in these two countries. And, in times of natural disasters, many givers turn to NCF to know how they can use their Giving Funds to mobilize resources for charities providing much-needed help and hope for victims. From earthquakes to hurricanes, here are five ways you can always use your Giving Fund during these critical moments:
- Give now: If you have a Giving Fund at NCF, it’s likely that you have an available Fund balance for times like this. You can easily log in to your Fund from your phone or laptop 24/7 to quickly recommend grants at the moment disaster strikes. Search for ministries in the area of the disaster or global disaster-relief organizations familiar to you.
- Give later: It’s important to remember that the need for support doesn’t end when media coverage dies down. As time goes by, donations slack, and relief efforts and organizations struggle. It takes time, hard work and money to recover after things like fires and storms. You can make a difference by setting up a recurring grant from your Giving Fund to provide ongoing support during the critical months or years ahead.
- Give non-cash assets: If you really want to step up your support, consider giving non-cash assets. Appreciated securities are a simple and quick way to get started (business interests and real estate are other options that require advanced planning). These types of tax-efficient donations may help you reduce or eliminate capital gains taxes, get a larger deduction, and give more overall to provide relief through grants to Christian nonprofits and other charities.
- Give with confidence: When disaster strikes, NCF can help you avoid scams and fraud. NCF reviews every charity to ensure they are IRS-approved and ready to receive grants, so you can be confident that your support is going to legitimate organizations. At times, we also provide lists of carefully selected, on-the-ground charities that are actively mobilizing volunteers, supplies, and critical support for victims. Finally, you can always connect with one of our local NCF teams as they work with those on the front lines of relief.
- Set a disaster relief giving goal for the future: Many natural disasters are recurring and cyclical. Hurricane season comes around every fall, and wildfires are always a threat in the summer. Consider setting a giving goal for seasons of distress by scheduling a future grant recommendation for your favorite relief organizations during these critical windows.